Master of Environmental Data Science capstone projects are completed in collaboration with a client partner to advance data-driven solutions to environmental problems. The MEDS Class of 2023 will present eight Capstone Projects on Friday, June 2, from 1:00pm to 4:15pm Pacific Time. This event will be held in-person on the UC Santa Barbara campus in the MSI Auditorium, and streamed live online. This event is open to the public, both in-person and online. Registration is not required for online or in person attendance.
Watch the livestream of all presentations here starting June 2 at 1:00pm PT
- 1:00 - 1:10pm: Dean's Welcome & Session 1 Introduction
- 1:10 - 1:30pm: Co-Locating a Power Couple: Retrofitting Existing Wind Projects with Solar PV in the U.S.; Michelle Lam, Colleen McCamy, Alessandra Vidal Meza
- 1:30 - 1:50pm: Evaluating Carbon Emissions from Electric Arc Furnace Steel Plants in the United States; Erica Bishop, Ruth Enriquez, Amrit Sandhu, Michael Zargari
- 1:50 - 2:10pm: Developing a Data Pipeline for Kelp Forest Modeling; Erika Egg, Jessica French, Javier Patrón, Elke Windschitl
- 2:10 - 2:30pm: Improving Monitoring and Evaluation of Enforcement in Coastal Marine Protected Areas and Fisheries; Kiran Favre, Elise Gonzales, Jared Petry, Adelaide Robinson
- 2:30 - 2:50pm: Break
- 2:50 - 2:55pm Session 2 Introduction
- 2:55 - 3:15pm: Assessing Fire in Groundwater-Dependent Ecosystems; Jillian Allison, Meagan Brown, Andre Dextre, Wade Sedgwick
- 3:15 - 3:35pm: Measuring Agricultural Adaptation to Climate Change in Zambia Using Satellite Imagery and Machine Learning; Andrew Bartnik, Carlo Broderick, Gabrielle Smith, Hailey Veirs
- 3:35 - 3:55pm: Automating Climate Scenario Creation for Wildfire Modeling; Victoria Cutler, Erica Dale, Mallory Giesie, Lewis White
- 3:55 - 4:15pm: Informing Forest Conservation Regulations in Paraguay; Ata Ayala, Dalila Lara, Alex Reed, Guillermo Romero
- 4:15 - 5:30pm: Reception in the Bren Hall Michael J. Connell Courtyard
Master of Environmental Data Science Capstone Project Presentation Day: A Welcome by Dean Steve Gaines
I’m pleased to invite you to the 2nd annual Capstone Project Final Presentations, showcasing projects completed by the Bren School Master of Environmental Data Science Class of 2023. Over the course of five months, students work in teams with two faculty advisors who monitor progress, provide technical assistance and expertise, and evaluate the project. This hands-on experience prepares Bren graduates to be leaders in solving the environmental problems of the 21st century.
The Master of Environmental Data Science (MEDS) program offers an applied problem-solving and solution-oriented curriculum that prepares students with skills to work with, analyze, and communicate environmental data.
MEDS Capstone Projects train students to work as a team while they conduct comprehensive analyses of current environmental issues. Students partner with clients to define the scope of a real-world environmental problem, then contribute to a solution through data processing, analysis, and development of data products.
The Bren School of Environmental Science & Management at the University of California, Santa Barbara continues to play a leading role in researching environmental issues, identifying and solving environmental problems, and training research scientists and environmental-management professionals. The Bren School continues to be impressed by the depth of knowledge displayed by our students. I hope you will join us for this fascinating day of presentations.
Thank you to the Bren School's Corporate and Institutional Partners:
AEP Channel Counties Chapter, Bank of America Charitable Foundation, Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, California Homebuilding Foundation, Deckers Outdoor Corporation, Eli Lilly and Company, Inditex, Latham & Watkins, O’Melveny & Myers, Professional Environmental Managers Association (PEMA), Resources Legacy Fund, Rhodium Group, Rincon Consultants, Southern California Edison, The Nature Conservancy, Toad & Co.