Bren School Mantell Symposium in Environmental Justice and Conservation Innovation
Advancing Environmental Justice and Conservation Innovation: Rethinking Institutions, Governance, and Collaborative Processes
Please join us for a special event that will catalyze the Bren School’s efforts to advance environmental justice and conservation innovation. The symposium will include panel discussions featuring leaders in the environmental justice and conservation innovation space as well as Bren School faculty and the first cohort of Michael Mantell Fellows. Following the event, a reception for donors, partners, all Bren students, staff, faculty, and others attending the Symposium will be held in the Michael J. Connell Memorial Courtyard.
Scroll down to watch the live stream starting at 1:00 pm November 3
RSVP required for in person attendance only.
A special thank you to the Resources Legacy Fund Board and Friends of Michael Mantell, who provided the support for this annual Symposium and the Diversity Fellows program at the Bren School.
- 1:00 pm: Opening Remarks, Dean Steve Gaines and Michael Mantell
- 1:15 pm: Opening Keynote, Dr. Mamie Parker
- 1:35 pm: Panel, Approaches to DEIJ in the Environmental Sphere. Dr. Mamie Parker, Dr. Sarah Anderson, with Mantell Fellows Abigail Sanford (Bren MESM) and Hayden Vega (Environmental Studies FUERTE Fellow)
- 2:10 pm: Panel, Conservation partnerships with indigenous peoples and local communities for the benefit of people and nature. Amy Croover and Dr. Summer Gray with Phoebe Racine (Bren PhD) and TNC Fellows Sarah Lam (Bren MESM) and Marian Walker (Bren-Environmental Studies Leadership Fellow)
- 2:45 pm: Panel, Enhancing access to nature, biodiversity, and getting people outdoors. Jose Gonzalez and Dr. Rae Wynn-Grant, with Bren MESM alum Vivon Crawford (Ojai Valley Land Conservancy), Mantell Fellows Eric Cole (Bren MESM), Rosemary Juarez (Promise Scholar) and Samuel Cervantes (Bren-Environmental Studies Leadership Fellow)
- 3:20 pm: Break
- 3:30 pm: Bren Environmental Justice Club Presentation
- 3:40 pm: Panel, Equity and efficiency consequences of environmental policies. Congressman Salud Carbajal, Dr. Kyle Meng and Dr. Ranjit Deshmukh with Mantell Fellows Liliana Sierra Castillo (Bren PhD), Cristina Mancilla (Bren MESM) and Emma Vega (Promise Scholar)
- 4:15 pm: Panel, Empowering communities through social enterprises. Bren Eco-Entrepreneurship Advisory Council member Noushin Ketabi (Vega Coffee), Andrew MacCalla (Collective Energy), Bren Innovation Program Director Emily Cotter and Dr. Basak Kalkanci with Sam Rozal (Bren MESM Innovation Focus student)
- 4:50: pm Closing Keynote with Q&A, Ben Jealous
- 5:30 pm: Reception in the Bren Hall Michael J. Connell Memorial Courtyard