The Bren PhD Student Symposium is held annually to highlight the diverse, cutting-edge research being conducted by Bren School PhD students. The students will present short (3-minute) talks and longer (12-minute) talks describing their work. The event is open to the entire UCSB and Santa Barbara communities and is free to attend.
- 1:00pm: Words of welcome from PhD Symposium Committee Co-Chair Jaenna Wessling and Bren School Dean Steve Gaines
- 1:10pm: Brian Lee, Tree-mendous Changes: Quantifying Changes in Forest Carbon Using Remote Sensing and Machine Learning
- 1:25pm: Wen Tien Wang, Just Transition Strategies for the Refinery Industry Sector in the USA
- 1:30pm: Sean Denny, Outsourcing Wildlife Conservation: A Comparative Analysis of Private and Government Management of Protected Areas in Africa
- 1:45pm: Allie Caughman, Climate Change Reduces Long-term Population Benefits from Marine Protected Areas through Selective Pressures on Species Movement
- 2:00pm: Shay Magahey, Identifying Changes to El Nino-Southern Oscillation in a Warming Climate
- 2:05pm Yifan (Flora) He, Health Impact of Gold Mining in the Brazilian Amazon
- 2:20pm: Break
- 2:45pm: Cali Pfleger, The Impact of Marine Cloud Brightening on Eastern Pacific Fisheries
- 3:00pm: Jamie Miller, Acoustic Behavioral Response of Nesting Western Snowy Plovers to Rocket Launches in Restored Coastal Dunes at Vandenberg Space Force Base
- 3:05pm: Mukta Kelkar, Empirical Studies on Climate Resilience in MPAs Demonstrate Effectiveness in Limited Contexts
- 3:20pm: Risa Lewis, Valuing the Mental Health Impact of Climate Change Information
- 3:25pm: Haozhe Yang, Global Transcontinental Power Pools for Low-carbon Electricity
- 3:40pm: Gemma Del Rossi, Untangling the Influence of Climate on Agricultural Decision-Making: Evidence from Smallholders in Zambia
- 3:45pm: Closing Remarks
Reception in the Michael J. Connell Memorial Courtyard to follow.
Thank you to our 2024 PhD Symposium Supporter:
And thank you to the Bren School's Corporate and Institutional Partners:
AEP Channel Counties Chapter, Bank of America Charitable Foundation, Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, California Homebuilding Foundation, Deckers Outdoor Corporation, Latham & Watkins, O’Melveny & Myers, Professional Environmental Managers Association (PEMA), Rincon Consultants, Southern California Edison, The Nature Conservancy, Toad & Co.